Every NRI who marries a citizen of India or another NRI must get his marriage registered within 30 days. If the marriage occurs outside India, it must be registered with a Marriage Officer, who will be appointed from among the diplomatic officers in a foreign country.
Is a marriage legal if married in another country?
Marriages performed overseas are considered valid in the country where they take place if they are entered into in accordance with local law. Recognition of the validity of marriages performed abroad depends on the laws of the place in which the marriage is to be recognized.
Is it mandatory to register marriage in India?
The Supreme Court of India, in 2006, made it mandatory to register all marriages in the eyes of the law, making it an important certificate to prove your relationship with your spouse.
Can an Indian get married in another country?
It is the foundation of the act of foreign marriage in India. The marriages solemnized under this act require that one party is Indian or other party is a foreigner. The parties can be both Indian but solemnizing their marriage outside India or one party can be a Non-Resident of India (NRI).
Do you need to register your marriage if you get married abroad?
A marriage abroad will be legally recognised in the UK providing it was contracted according to the law of the country in which it took place. There is no requirement, or facility, to register the marriage in England afterwards.
How do I divorce my foreign spouse?
How to Divorce a Person Out of the Country
- Understand your state’s laws. Each state has its own divorce laws. …
- Complete and file your divorce petition. Once you understand your state’s rules, complete your divorce petition and file it with your local county court. …
- Serve your spouse. …
- Continue with your divorce.
Where can you get legally married abroad?
If you’re looking for the easiest places get married abroad legally, here are a few of the most popular countries:
- Italy. The most popular country for UK couples getting married abroad is Italy. …
- USA. Las Vegas is known as the ‘wedding capital of the world’ and with good reason. …
- Cyprus. …
- Denmark. …
- Gibraltar. …
- New Zealand.
How do I register for Hindu Marriage Act?
Both partners will need to fill in the Application Form, sign it and submit it along with two photographs of the marriage ceremonies, invitation card of marriage, age and address proof of both parties, affidavit of Notary/Executive Magistrate to prove that the couple is married under Hindu Marriage Act 1955, fit mental …
What if Hindu marriage is not registered?
Whether marriage registered or not, marriage can be dissolved by contested or mutual divorce. There is required only proof of marriage like card photograp etc. Mutual is easy way if both parties agreed.
What happens when marriage is not registered?
The absence of registration of marriage does not render the marriage illegal. A marriage without registration is perfectly legal. 2. Since you are married for all legal and practical purposes you can dissolve the marriage only through a decree of divorce passed by the competent court.
Is Indian marriage valid in USA?
In general, the United States will recognize, for immigration purposes and otherwise, marriages abroad provided that the marriages performed abroad conform to and are considered legal in the foreign country. In India, like many other countries, marriages may be conducted via religious or civil ceremonies.
How can I marry a foreign girl in India?
Documents, Formalities, and Certifications needed
- Birth certificates (for age proof)
- A valid visa of more than thirty days for the foreign national.
- A single-status affidavit signed by both parties. …
- Address proof and passport size photographs.
- Adequate documentary evidence of 30-day residence in India.
What is Foreign marriage Act in India?
4. Conditions relating to solemnization of foreign marriages.—A marriage between parties one of. whom at least is a citizen of India may be solemnized under this Act by or before a Marriage Officer in a. foreign country, if, at the time of the marriage, the following conditions are fulfilled, namely:—